The Old Vinyl Factory is an 18 acre redevelopment of the previously situated EMI Record Pressing Factory. The site has a vast history including the pressings of famous records by the Beatles and Pink Floyd. It is also overlooked that this was the birthplace of such modern-day technologies such as the Cat Scanner and Radar.
The project links closely with its infrastructure, leaning heavily on the new Crossrail expansion at Hayes and Harlington station. It is situated 3 miles from Heathrow Airport providing excellent international links to its occupants.
The Buildings themselves are some of the most sustainable in the past 10 years using such innovative elements like cross laminated timber and a combined heat and power station to provide hot water to the site.
One of the buildings that Gattica have been most involved in was the Material Store, this building aims to provide, 189 residential units and 4 commercial units complete with underground parking and electric car parking facilities.
Gattica were originally employed under HUB to provide the detail design of the underground utility services. This early engagement allowed Gattica to really bottom out the pressing utility concerns before the site even broke ground.
Since then, Gattica have been appointed under Interserve Paragon to assist in both the procurement of these services as well as other complex items. In turn Gattica provided bespoke solutions to the following:
- Design of gas and electricity meters for substations, residential flats and commercial units.
- Managed the disconnection of an SSE substation and removal of old factory utility tunnel.
- Space planning and clash detection of proposed utility infrastructure against drainage systems, tree pits, boundaries and retaining wall systems.
- Assisting in delivering a full district heating network including the provision of underground culverts for future connections.
- Provision of as built drawings for all underground services.
- Management of offsite connections as well as the onsite infrastructure.
Download The Old Vinyl Factory Case Study
Having appointed Gattica Associates in June 2015 as our Utility Infrastructure Consultant on The Material Store project, which is part of the redevelopment of The Old Vinyl Factory site at Hayes, Middlesex, the Company has provided ICL with a first class service, both personally and professionally, in dealing with the various Statutory Authorities which is a challenge on its own along with the coordination of the below ground services' routing and the production of the fully coordinated utilities' drawings.
Mark Bishop, Design Manager, Interserve