In 2000/1 Argent LLP was selected as the development partner for the regeneration of the King’s Cross area. After several years of consultation and community studies, a masterplan evolved and outline planning permission was granted.
In 2008 Argent, London & Continental Railways and DHL formed a joint partnership King’s Cross Central Limited Partnership to become the single land owner at King’s Cross. This arrangement has since moved on with Australian Super now taking a majority shareholding in the development.
King’s Cross is the largest mixed-use development in single ownership to be developed in Central London for over 150 years. More than twenty historic buildings and structures have been creatively restored and given new uses. This has been underpinned by a massive infrastructure and utility network construction programme.
- 50 new buildings
- 20 streets
- 10 new major public spaces
- 26 acres of open space – including a freshwater public bathing pond
- The restoration and refurbishment of 19 historic buildings and structures (some listed)
- The construction of 1900 homes from top-end apartments to affordable and supported housing, student flats and family homes
- 3.4 million square feet of workspace
- The UKs first man-made fresh water public bathing pond
- Sustainable Community garden built using recycled materials mostly from the construction works
Gattica Associates Limited has enjoyed a successful long-term relationship on the prestigious King’s Cross Redevelopment for Argent LLP- from the early master planning stages to the present day.
Early infrastructure works began in June 2007 and Gattica continues to work there today and will do so until completion of the site works which is currently estimated at 2022.
The major utility works include:
- Diversion, protection, disconnection and abandonments of existing utility networksboth on and off site
- Relocation of the largest gas governor in London
- Network Rail and HS1 consultation
- Design management of a full site- wide utility infrastructure network, including, potable water, gas, electric, comms and district heating
- Project management overview of construction install of above networks
- Close liaison and negotiation with adopter authorities and ESCO’s
Download Kings cross Case Study
Gattica’s role on King’s Cross has always been ‘can do’. Their collaborative and proactive management of the delivery of the utility infrastructure has been key to the success of this complex project.
Richard Meier, Partner, Argent LLP.