British Land and London Borough of Southwark, as landowners, have joined forces and submitted planning to redevelop and create a new urban centre at Canada Water. Public consultation on the proposals started in spring 2014 with consultation on the SE16 Printworks Site, and due to site acquisitions, the site has been expanded over time to include the Surrey Quays Shopping Centre and Surrey Quays Leisure Park Sites.
The project comprises:
- At least 4,500 new homes
- A minimum of 1,000 new affordable homes
- At least 12,000m2 employment floor space
- Re-provision of cinema and leisure uses
- Health, Education community facilities
- Public transport, parking and highways improvements
- Revitalisation of the dock area
Gattica Associates were engaged after the initial master planning stage to take an all-inclusive view of the utility infrastructure requirements for the development. Gattiica were subsequently engaged by the Canada Water team to look at detailed design within the first phase, working alongside the client and the design teams, our responsibilities include:
- Site wide utility design and an advisory role on how utilities affect the masterplan as it evolves.
- Coordination of the diversion, protection and abandonments of the existing utility networks including various substations located within the masterplan area.
- Calculating high level plot loads to monitor asset requirements and the impact increasing loads have on the surrounding network.
- Detailed design of the phase 1 infrastructure to facilitate plot connections.
- Liaising with the various statutory undertakers for the new utility infrastructure.